ADHS Archives

June 2011

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Eric Schneider <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jun 2011 11:16:26 -0400
In the 1970s, when methadone clinics were expanding rapidly, there were
many scandals about lax administration and drug dealing.  A New York
Times reporter was admitted to a methadone program and given methadone
without evidence of addiction to heroin, for example, in a widely
reported story.  Hustlers sold clean urine samples, methadone users
traded "spit-backs" for cocaine or other drugs,  and the areas around
clinics became staging areas, where deals for drugs or criminal
escapades could be planned.  Generally clinics were sited in areas of
high drug use, and as Camilo Vergara has shown in his photographs, the
clinics themselves took on the look of fortresses, in part to prevent
break ins and theft.

However, federal legislation significantly tightened administration of
methadone, and methadone itself took on a bad name among at least some
users, who claimed it was significantly more addicting than the heroin
they were trying to get off, and that it caused lethargy, body aches and
"bone pain."  That together with the end of the heroin drought in the
mid to late 1970s lessened demand among heroin users for methadone.

In a relatively recent (five or six years ago) tour of methadone clinics
in Philadelphia, I found most were associated with hospitals or health
centers and not particularly noticeable to a passerby, but they continue
to be sited in areas of high drug use, so it is somewhat difficult to
distinguish the effects of a clinic from neighborhood effects more
generally.

Since I am generally supportive of harm reduction and drug maintenance
programs, I would like to be more supportive, but frankly I would blanch
if someone proposed putting one next to my house.
--
Eric Schneider
Assistant Dean and Associate Director for Academic Affairs

For information about Smack:  Heroin and the American City, see
http://www.upenn.edu/pennpress/book/14532.html
http://www.upenn.edu/pennpress/podcast/