OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2011

From:
Marc Schroeder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marc Schroeder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 2011 07:45:22 -0400
My wife and I had to be in north-central Michigan, so yesterday we took the
Kirtland's Warbler tour given by the US Fish and Wildlife Service out of
Grayling, which is about 6.5-7 hours no. of Columbus. The tour is free and led
by a knowledgeable Forest Service birder. The tour is a gentle walk on a two-
track trail into a 2nd-growth jack pine forest about 10 minutes from Grayling.
Tours begin at 7:00 and 11:00 a.m. and last 2-3 hours. We took the 7:00 tour
and had excellent viewings of about 8 male Kirtland's Warblers singing on
territory. Also saw 1 male Palm Warbler singing on territory, Clay-Colored
Sparrows, Vesper Sparrow, and other common species. Saw a Cowbird trap and
learned about the Cowbird-trapping program. Heard but didn't see a Lincoln's
Sparrow. There have been Upland Sandpipers in the tract we entered, but none
were heard or seen yesterday. It was a great way to observe and enjoy the
beautiful and striking Kirtland's Warblers. Various tours are offered in the
area. We took the USFWS tour because it is free. Their Website says to go to
the Grayling Ramada Inn parking lot, but the tour actually begins in the
Ramada Inn Maple Room. If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a line.