OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2011

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jun 2011 21:46:11 -0400
Tonight at about 7PM, at Guilford Lake in Columbiana County, two remarkable summer bird sightings were had. Myself and Scott Thomas had just left the nearby Salem Reservoir area after checking on recently born baby Turkey Vultures, and hopes of seeing Barn Owls at the same location. No owls at the traditional barn site, but on our arrival at the Guilford Lake Dam, lo and behold there was a male Ruddy Duck in breeding plumage, blue bill and all, and also a Forster's Tern in breeding plumage, making the lake rounds. Photos of the Ruddy Duck were taken for documentation, but the Forster's Tern was not close enough to photograph. Shortly after our arrival, the Forster's went over the Guilford Lake Dam heading northeast in the direction of the Salem Reservoir, which is just a short distance away. We headed back toward The Reservoir, unable to find the tern. I stopped at the bait house, where the bait shop guy told me that there had been an odd non gull like white bird around today, that always seemed to be hovering and swiftly moving. An interesting addition to this story is the fact that on June 21st, 2009; my wife Denise and I were able to get excellent photo documentation of a Forster's Tern in breeding plumage, that was at Salem Reservoir for at least three days. Of note; the Ohio River is only about seventeen miles by the way the crows fly.

Bob Lane/Mahoning County