OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2011

From:
Jeanne Schneider <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeanne Schneider <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jun 2011 18:58:39 -0700
I've got to admit, I moved from the Lake Erie shores to Houston, Texas last fall. loved following the breeding season at High Island Rookery this year, numbers were low (OK, I'd be happy to find these kind of numbers up north, biggest cause, the drought, the waters were low, and island wasn't considered as perator free as usual.I haven't been there the last 3 weeks, and talking to someone who was there this weekend, they said you could just about walk across.  I would expect that the birds now that the young are fledged will have to migrate much farther than usual to find enough water to to forage.  Also went to Anahuac National Wildlife Refuge this weekend
and numbers are way down, areas that are controlled water is fine, but the areas that are not controlled by man are completely dried up. A month ago, I couldn't count the numbers of Least Bitterns, Green Heron, Soras, King Rails everywhere,  Could find hardly anything.  also I volunteer at a Wildlife Rehab center, biggest problem is animials affected by the drought.
Yes, I would expect you would see much larger number than usual coming up there this year.
Keep your eyes out, I want to hear of any Roseate Spoonbill sighting.
Jeanne Schneider