OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2011

From:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jun 2011 16:33:16 -0700
After leaving Pipe Creek, Mo & I ventured to Willow Point WA
Hey all -

After leaving Pipe Creek, Mo & I ventured to Willow Point WA, where we
encountered quality shorebird habitat and a surprising number of early
shorebirds using it.  The location is the same as it was two years ago - park at
the 'Fish' building, then head north & east along the main path - its the more
northern impoundment that the birds are using.  We had:

Killdeer  60
Greater Yellowlegs  5
Lesser Yellowlegs  18
Least Sandpiper  3
Semipalmated Sandpiper  1

Also, just down the road on CR-290, there were six more Dicksissels and we had
three more at a new location near Pickerel Creek.  Folks, these birds are
EVERYHWERE this year.  Literally piece of suitable habitat I've stopped at in
this area has had multiple birds.

At Pipe Creek Unit B has been drained completely, and offers little for
shorebird use at the moment.  There are still two small puddles remaining, and
the avocet was sharing one with some Mallards, but it was the only migrant
shorebird around.

Good birding -
Gabe Leidy
Cleveland