OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2011

From:
jen brumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
jen brumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jun 2011 17:27:42 +0000
Greetings all -
A quick note/suggestion about birding the Richfield Coliseum grasslands. The grassland is a SENSITIVE BREEDING BIRD area, and as it goes with ground-nesting species, walking through a large open field this time of the year puts well-camouflaged sparrow, Bobolink, blackbird, and meadowlark nests/young in immediate danger and causes adults to waste energy in warding off predators/threats (us). Should you desire to view the excellent species (Bobolink, Henslow's and Savannah Sparrows, Eastern Meadowlark) at the Richfield Coliseum (Cuyahoga Valley National Park property), there is a recommended way of going about accessing the grassland to seriously limit foot traffic and disturbance. I would strongly suggest limiting your presence there, and keep in mind that the majority of the birds (Bobolink in particular) can be enjoyed from very near the roadside. Park in the designated "IBA" parking spot or in one of the large gravel pulloffs along Route 303. Instead of walking straight out into the tall grass, walk north along the slight ridge that is vegetated with brush and trees. This mini "hill," with trees and shrubs, creates a sort of "peninsula" that sticks out into the grassland. Hugging this small, sparse treeline as you walk, instead of wandering around the grassland, ensures that you're respecting these uncommon birds' habitat/nests/success.
best of birding - Jen

Jen Brumfield
Cleveland, Ohio
330-701-6452