OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2011

From:
Ann Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ann Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jun 2011 08:43:42 -0400
Another note about atlasing:
     If you’d like to get involved with atlasing, please join OOS and OBBA II this evening, at Shawnee
State Park in SW Ohio. Paul Rodewald, Project Director for the Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas II, will
explain the “ins and outs” of atlasing. Think of atlasing as a fair-weather version of a Christmas
Bird Count: you don’t have to wear fleece or heavy gloves!  Paul is the keynote speaker this evening
at the Ohio Ornithological Society’s Seventh Annual Conference: please see our website Ohio
Ornithological Society: Ohio Birds and Birding (www.ohiobirds.org/) for details.
     Everyone is invited for the entire weekend, regardless of birding expertise or previous
experience with atlasing. We’ll have a great time, see some wonderful birds (butterflies and botany,
too) including 18 species of warblers, and traverse the gorgeous territory of SW Ohio. Camping is
available at Shawnee SP if you don’t wish to book a room at the lodge (special rates for conference
attendees available).
     OOS, OBBA II, and teams of volunteers will atlas in SW Ohio on Saturday and Sunday morning.
It’s not too late to join us: please contact Julie Davis ([log in to unmask] 614-560-
7404), Dan Sanders ([log in to unmask] 614-596-5666), or Doreene Linzell
([log in to unmask]  614-218-5411) if you’d like to help out even at the LAST MINUTE! Walk-
in registration available.
     Saturday afternoon and evening, our special guest speaker is Ted Floyd, Editor of “Birding”, the
flagship magazine published by the American Birding Association. Ted’s afternoon talk is “Bare-
naked Birding: Clothing Optional, Binoculars Prohibited”, focusing on observing breeding behavior
and applying it to bird ID. Ted’s evening presentation, “Birding at Night: The Final Frontier”, will
introduce you to a new frontier in birding.
     Sunday morning: you’ll also have a special opportunity to tour The Conrad Tract, adjacent to the
Edge of Appalachia Preserve, which is protected by the Ohio Chapter of The Nature Conservancy.
Folks from TNC will be there too!
      If you can’t join OOS, OBBA II, & TNC this weekend at Shawnee SP, please see the OBBA II
website for details on how you can atlas in other parts of the state during this final season of
fieldwork (www.ohiobirds.org/obba2/index.php, [log in to unmask], 614-247-6458).

Ann Oliver
Editor, The Cerulean Newsletter (quarterly publication of OOS)
Cincinnati