OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2011

Date:
Fri, 3 Jun 2011 16:43:26 -0400
I spent yesterday assisting Highbanks Metro Park with a Breeding Bird
Survey. Today I talked Linda into coming with me to tend to the home field. We
monitored my nest boxes along Old Sunbury Road and the Eastshore Yacht Club
in  Galena. I located 8 new Prothonotary Warbler nest sites bringing this
year's current total to 61. I'm way behind schedule due to bad weather and
too many conflicting obligations. I have to learn to say no more often. Dick
Tuttle informed me that he has banded his first hatchlings at Alum Creek
already  and I haven't even managed to make a complete circuit of my nest
boxes. Now I  have to divide my time between properly monitoring the nest boxes
and covering  blocks for the Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas. I guess if you're
going to have a  problem this is the best kind to have.

Along with the nest sites located we had about 20 singing Prothonotaries. I
 should mention that we didn't get out until the afternoon when things are
a lot  quieter. Other priorities occupied the morning. Other species of
interest at Old  Sunbury Road included a Wild Turkey that came down the road
toward us until it  realized we were there. How did he survive hunting season?
The Osprey from the  natural nest south of Oxbow Island fishing for the
family's next meal. Three  Yellow-billed Cuckoos. A wren that scolded us, likely
because we were near its  nest. Linda said she was glad she couldn't
translate what was being aimed at us  as it seemed laced with unrepeatable
comments. I have heard many people wonder  where the Cedar Waxwings are this year.
With the fruit of many plants out we are  seeing them in good numbers. In
two hours we recorded 61 species along Old  Sunbury Road. Not a bad total for
the afternoon while general birding wasn't the  purpose for being out.

With spring migration mostly finished birders can find good reasons to be
in the field and to contribute to a good cause, helping with the Ohio
Breeding  Bird Atlas Project. Over the last five years it has taken me to new
locations  and new discoveries. An example is a certain field I discovered in
Knox County  that contained more Bobolinks than wild flowers which made for
quite a sight.  Help is needed in most parts of the state so there likely is
an area near you  just waiting for you to discover it.

Charlie Bombaci