OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2011

From:
Aaron Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aaron Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Jun 2011 13:05:55 -0500
To put Ben's comments into perspective, the following illustrates the
current breeding status of King Rail in the state:
http://bird.atlasing.org/Atlas/OH/Main?cmd=stateSummary&theme=species&edition=current&species=kinrai&species=Go

The Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas has invested a substantial amount of effort
into locating and surveying wetland habitat around the state.  During the
last several years, these efforts have yielded only a handful of King Rail
records from counties away from Lake Erie's western marshes.  Thanks in
large part to the vision and planning of Columbus Metroparks, central Ohio
now has additional wetland habitat that is proving to be valuable to a host
of sensitive wetland species.  If you look at the additional link below,
you'll see that Ben's observation of Least Bittern is the first for this
species within the greater Columbus area.

http://bird.atlasing.org/Atlas/OH/Main?cmd=stateSummary&theme=species&edition=current&species=leabit&species=Go

So, these wetland restorations are doing their job...providing high quality
habitat that is attracting some of the rarest nesting species in the state.
 Let's not ruin that with the short sighted goal of tick-birding.

Have fun atlasing out there this summer!

Aaron Boone-

--
Aaron Boone