OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2011

Date:
Tue, 7 Jun 2011 01:54:30 GMT
We headed to Pipe Creek today for our annual MAY trip that was rained out.  To our surprise we actually got 42 species including hooded mergansers and over a dozen black-crowned night herons.  We saw some sandpipers on the mud of one of the ponds that had been recently drained, but only came up with semipalmated as tentative ID, which seems a stretch according to the range maps.  If you are in the area you might have better luck- and if you have a scope.  The vultures were enjoying the many carp that ran out of water, but it's a nice two mile walk around the outer perimeter of the dikes with a pleasant breeze on a hot day.  It's one of the few places where dogs are allowed & there is also a nice canoe launch there- part of the Greater Sandusky Water Trail, if I recall correctly. Kathleen- Berea