OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2011

Date:
Sun, 12 Jun 2011 17:25:19 -0400

Today we took  advantage of the nice weather and put the HMS Hoover out to
sea, well at least  on water, and worked southeast along the reservoir
shoreline in search of  Prothonotary Warbler territories. With the exception of
the cove near Windale  Farms Circle there are no nest boxes along this
stretch. We covered the shore  from the Twin Bridges Boat Launch south to Lake of
the Woods. Covering this area  is like studying a Thomas English Muffin.
There are all kinds of nooks and  crannies to explore with appropriate habitat
for Prothonotary Warblers. The good  weather also brought out a regatta of
boats with fishermen, a condition that  prevented us from checking some areas
we planned to visit, but we coexisted  peacefully and were rewarded with
Prothonotaries in almost every location we  could get close to. With today’s
additions we have now identified slightly over  100 Prothonotary Warbler
territories at Hoover Reservoir. Friday we will again  cast off to check a few
areas we have yet to get to but it is looking like  another productive year
for our golden jewels at Hoover  Reservoir.
The boat was  basically buzzed by a couple of male Prothonotaries, one of
which seemed to  circling us with a declaration that we were on his turf. But
he was outdone by a  Pileated Woodpecker that could best be described as
strafing the boat. We  spotted an active Pileated nest cavity with junior
sticking his head partway  out. He ducked down and “D” played a pileated call
on her cell phone AP thinking  he would look out. Instead from nowhere came
dad calling loudly with a low flyby  that could have been a scene from the
movie Pearl Harbor.
I spotted an adult  Bald eagle carrying a good sized fish in its talons. We
have yet to find  anything resembling an eagle’s nest at or near Hoover
Reservoir, but every year,  all year long, for the past five years or so I have
Bald Eagles at the  reservoir. All the local eagle nest sites I am aware of
have good areas to  forage that are closer than Hoover Reservoir. I keep
wondering if there is a  nest site that has somehow gone undiscovered. We have
two pair of nesting  Osprey. A Bald Eagle would be a wonderful addition.
We also located  another Red-headed Woodpecker nest cavity. There is
currently at least 14 pair  of nesting Red-heads in the Hoover Nature Preserve.
Last week we had two  severe thunderstorms. During our monitoring today I
observed lots of fresh  damage to trees along the east shoreline. I made my
last stop Area N to see if  there was damage to the nest boxes. Someone is
looking out for the  Prothonotaries as the nest boxes there appear to have
been spared, but with  several very close misses there might be a few neurotic
birds hunkering down.
Below is a list of  some of our more interesting observations from today.
Charlie  Bombaci
Hoover Nature  Preserve
2011-06-12  Hoover Reservoir SE Shore Bird List
Double-crested  Cormorant
Green  Heron
Wood  Duck
Osprey