OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2011

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jun 2011 16:56:49 -0400
        Spent an hour and a half at the Cassin's sparrow site in Shelby County
this morning, and have some suggestions that might be of help to seekers.
        Troy Shively called me between 6 and 630 this morning from the site. He
had arrived soon after dawn, and he had the bird singing/skylarking at a
rate of once every fifteen seconds, as well as repeatedly perching on
the orange & white posts along the north side of Kaser; this activity
took place quite early and mostly ~200 yards west of Lindsey.
        Things were different for us at 8:30. Jay Lehman and John Lennon were
there, having seen the bird skylarking and singing at increasingly less
frequent intervals as the morning continued. Bob Conlon and I spent an
hour and a half seeking, and during that time I saw the bird only five
times (four times in distant brief skylarking--actually it didn't ascend
more than 10-15 feet), and heard it sing maybe ten times.
        Eventually it magically appeared and sang on the dead tree where Kaser
ends at Lindsey, following a period of over half an hour during which it
was not seen, and heard only once. Three others--two of them Michigan's
most notoriously successful 'poachers' of Ohio's rare birds--witnessed
all this as well.
        I go into this detail in hopes that it's typical, and will be of help
to folks who want to see this bird. It seems most active at first light,
and at least during the time we were there became less and less so.
Still, if you have time, you can assure yourself of its identity by
viewing its behavior and hearing its song---often at a considerable
distance---throughout the day. Troy told me the bird had not been anyway
near as demonstrative late yesterday as it was early today; yesterday it
was last seen about 710 pm.
        So, unless you have plenty of time, I would advise going at dawn. Troy
said the sparrow perched on the orange posts often during this period.
Otherwise views in flight are brief, though the song is distinctive
(there are plenty of grasshopper sparrows, vesper sparrows, and horned
larks). It is devilishly hard to find on the ground, and sneaked off on
us every time; at times we'd hear it unexpectedly far from where it
seemed to have touched down, often enough causing us to wonder aloud if
there might be two birds. If you really feel you must have
photos--remember there are already a zillion great free photos of this
species on the Web--be aware that it can be spooked by flash (as it was
this morning), or of course by too close an approach; diagnostic images
have already been obtained for the record-book.
Good luck to all,
Bill Whan
Columbus