OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2011

From:
Joyce Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joyce Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jun 2011 08:46:15 -0700
HI there,

First, though I have loved birds all my life, I never really took the time to
really get to know them until just recently. I consider myself a “novice” and
can recognize some common birds from calls or sight.  I work in downtown
Cleveland and have frequently seen birds that I’m not sure of.  One is a turkey
vulture that I first spotted during the spring, off of the RTA Redline that
comes in from the West side of Cleveland.  I have seen him as close as the
second stop going away from Tower city all the way to the Triskett Station. I
know he is not a crow because he is a dark color, but not black.  From
underneath, he has dark colored body with the front part of the wings dark, but
the back of the wings are light colored, almost a dull silver color in the
sunlight. (Apologize for not using the scientific description of his wings). The
other is, I think, a Great Blue Heron I have seen near the river and once on the
71/W105 exit ramp.  First sighting was several weeks ago on the 71/W105 ramp
where the heron suddenly appeared on my left, flew over my truck and on towards
Industrial Parkway. Most recently I saw the heron on June 14, around 5:30pm as
we were leaving from Tower City to go to the west side.  As we came closer to
the bridge that the RTA crosses, I looked over and saw the “heron” flying in the
opposite direction (toward the lake?)  I was so shocked and didn’t have enough
time to really take in everything, except his wings were dusky color (but not
dark) and the neck was bent back towards the body, and he was big.  I also saw
him today, Thursday June 16, as I was waiting for the Healthline in front of
Tower City.  He was quite a ways up, but I still recognized him from his size.
No one else seemed to notice, but then I can be found looking up almost any time
I am outside now.  I then saw him again today, from my office window which looks
out toward the baseball stadium and the river, but he was again, far away and
moved behind a building close to the river.  Has anyone besides me seen these
birds?  Does anyone else look for birds in the city of Cleveland?  Can these
birds be found in the city or outlying areas? Is what I’m seeing common?  Thank
you to anyone who replies.
 Joyce Fuller