OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2011

From:
Regina Schieltz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Regina Schieltz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 2011 20:24:19 -0400
On May 22 and on May 30, I found a female merganser at Woods Road in Darke County.
It was at least as large as a mallard with maybe a fuller body.
I'm not very experienced with mergansers. It was in the water and on
shore.   It did seem to have a white breast that went all the way to the
neck.  I didn't see a white chin.  It was difficult to tell for sure if
the neck was defined   It was constantly preening.   It does look more like the female red breasted in
Kaufman's, but Sybley's confused me because of the breast being very white. On May 22, it was getting dark when I saw it and the white spot towards the
back of the body behind the wings? was well defined more like the common.   It did have more
feathering to the back of the head like an eared grebe would have, but the
whole head appeared red.