HUMANRIGHTS Archives

July 2011

HUMANRIGHTS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Judith Blau <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ASA Section on Human Rights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jul 2011 23:17:52 -0400
I lived in the ghetto. The contrast between north of the Midway and
south of it was incredible. Because of the nepotism rule, I went to
Northwestern after my MA, and although there were a bunch of faculty
with activist orientations - such as Howie Becker - it was the
contractions at Chicago that had such a lasting impact on me. Now I live
in a rural ghetto and direct a center in a barrio. Life is rich with
meaning and very chaotic.

To sum this up, I think excavating one's own biography can be useful,
especially for those of us who embrace human rights.