OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2011

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jul 2011 13:48:55 -0400
There were five young yellow-crowned night-herons at the Columbus site
this morning, three in/near the nest over the curb, and two at the nest
over Preston. Five is the number of young that has been commonly present
at a single nest at this site at this time of year in the past.
        No adults were seen. Several of the young birds were seen to undertake
flight; though I wouldn't call it practiced, it was effective. This is
pretty much on schedule for birds at this location over many years past.
Soon they will move on.
        This presence seems pretty much consistent with one full nest of five
birds, of which two 'migrated' to the other (empty, because no nesting
seems to have taken place there) nest as they became able to move. If
this was the case, perhaps the extra space afforded by an empty nest
provided some breathing room. Does this kind of re-occupation take place
at large night-heron colonies?
        No trusted observer, to my knowledge, has reported two adults or small
nestlings at the nest over the street, only one, so it looks like
nesting did not take place there this year, for lack of a mated pair,
only at the nest over the curb.
        So my hypothesis is that only one pair returned this year, with a
single additional unmated adult. One nest was established, hatching five
young; the other nest had no eggs. After space became an issue in the
active nest, young birds with the capability moved to the vacant nest.
This is the time of year they are largest.
        Facts that could invalidate this hypothesis:
        --four adults at the site at any time
        --very young birds in the over-the-street nest at any time
        --six or more young at the site at any time (six young in a single nest
is pretty unlikely for this species)
        If things proceed as normal, all the birds will be leaving pretty soon.
YCNH are routinely reported in Ohio in small numbers through September,
however, which is puzzling in that they are never seen that late at this
Columbus site. Any additional facts will be valuable to have, so please
let us know.
Bill Whan
Columbus