OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2011

From:
John Saxon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Saxon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jul 2011 15:01:30 -0700
Hello:

I saw the coolest thing today around 4:00 p.m. I went to the park to take a walk around the loop. I got discouraged when I perceived that a softball tournament was taking place (not least because the batters who were warming off on either side of the loop kept hitting their balls outside of the baseball screens). When I was walking back to the car, I passed two small, man-made lakes situated at the SW end of the park, which are separated by a small roadway.

The interesting events unfolded at the pond that was located on the S side of the roadway (i.e. the one that was farthest SW). I noticed a raptor flying circles 50-75 feet above the pond. It looked a little different than the turkey vultures and red-tailed hawks I have seen in the area, so I stopped to take a closer look.

The first thing I noticed is that it was flying lower than I am accustomed to seeing raptors fly. Next, I noticed that it kept pointing its head down at the water, which is something that I have never seen before. Then it gradually circled lower and lower. After a short while, it made a couple of aborted diving attempts. Finally, it dove into the water headfirst, and appeared to complete submerge itself for a moment before reemerging, shaking itself dry, regaining altitude, and starting the process all over.

The second attempt was essentially identical to the first. The other significant difference I noticed is that it made a cawing noise as it was circling that sounded like a high-pitched laugh and was somewhat (and I stress somewhat) evocative of a hyena.

The bird was successful on the third attempt. This time, instead of diving into the water, it did more of a belly flop. It paused on the water for a second without fully submersing itself, and then flew up with a golden fish (a fish that looked like a big goldfish) between its talons. It appeared to hold the fish as if the fish were swimming. That is, the fish's head was forward, its tail backward, the head and tail were the same height, and it was not tilted to either side. Then the raptor flew off in a SE direction.

Although I am a newbie when it comes to birding, it was easily the coolest thing I have ever seen. Witnessed everything with the naked eye too.

Take care.

After