OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2011

From:
Mike McKay <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike McKay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jul 2011 16:18:34 -0400
The note regarding the chipping sparrow triggered this note.

We visited Stonelick Lake State Park.

On the east side of the beach we notice a Prothonotary Warbler attending to
a nest.

We went back to the car to get our binoculars and change.

When we returned the warbler was still actively gather food for the young.

and then we notice the fledgling was about twice the size of the Warbler and
we guessed it must be a cowbird.

On a more positive note, this weekend we went to Grayling, Mi to take the
Kirtland Warbler tour.

Yes, we did see one male singing.

The return of the Kirtland is supported by Cowbird removed. Over 4000
Cowbirds were captured and removed this year.

Hope everyone had a good 4th.