OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2011

Date:
Wed, 6 Jul 2011 17:19:40 -0400
Hope this is ok.  I am contemplating taking a week to drive around the
specific PNW.  I did some preliminary googling and well....there is
information on places to bird but not what they are like by season.  I am
getting the impression that spring migrartion is great everywhere and at
least in the Pacific Northwest fall is sort of dead?
I have never been anywhere near that part of the US and want to see what I
see in the photos; big trees, big ferns, big water, wildlife (River Otters,
weasels, mink) and of course birds!
I was thinking a week btw mid-Sept and mid-Oct but I don't have any idea
what the timing is for good birding there or even what is considered good
birding in the PNW.
The only thing I know is that I'm prone to motion sickness and am not
interested in any long pelagic trips:)
Not a lister but obviously get excited by birds I've never seen before,
especially ones relatively easy to ID (grebe's vs. little brown jobs)
Any recommendations welcome off list.

Mary, Fairborn

P.S.  I did see an indigo bunting singing on my walk today on the Wright
Field Natl Park road as well as some...juvenile Orioles?  Orchard? Although
adult wise all I've seen around are Baltimore.  Also a striped headed
plainish LBJ with a streaked? breast hanging around in the road with a
couple of chipping sparrows.