OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2011

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jul 2011 16:16:45 -0400
Chasing after loose OBBA2 ends found me making a big arc through Canal Winchester to Chesnut Ridge to Pickerington Ponds.  There were some unusual birds out and about, including one very out-of-place bird, despite the heat.  The water levels in the creeks and wetlands, especially at Pick Ponds, were very high, so shorebirds were non-existant.  Notables included:

Waterfowl - most were hiding in the reeds at Pick Ponds, but broods of Wood Ducks and Pied-billed Grebes were at Teal Pond there.

Herons - still some active Great Blue Heron nests at Pick Ponds, both at Ellis Pond and Teal Pond.  2 Great Egrets were also at Pick Ponds, as was a Green Heron,  Another Green Heron was in a yard pond near Rt 33 at Canal Winchester.

Raptors - little aside from a few Cooper's hawks.  A lucky Find was a Barred Owl along Sycamore Creek in Pickerington.

Yellow-billed Cuckoos - always I treat, I was doubly-treated, with calling birds both at Chesnut Ridge and Portmann Park

Purple Martins - quite a few 'family groups' in several different locations; they seem to be getting ready to go now.

White-eyed Vireo - so scare this summer here that it was nice to find a singer in Waterloo, the eastern part of Canal Winchester

Sedge Wren - a single bird was energetically calling along the trail to the Wood Duck marsh blind at Pick Ponds

Black&White Warbler - another stray singing male, this one at Chesnut Ridge

Hooded Warblers - 3 still singing at Chesnut Ridge was a healthy # for this site

Tanagers - both Scarlet (3) and Summer (1) were singing at Chesnut Ridge.

Savannah Sparrows - several were singing in weedfields between Chesnut Ridge & Pickerington

Vesper Sparrow - singers were also at several locations between Chesnut Ridge & Pickerington, one of their few local strongholds.

Orchard Oriole - a bird was still singing at Wood Duck picnic area at Pick Ponds

PINE SISKIN - a single bird was singing at Chesnut Ridge.  When I first heard it, I thought, "Oh great! Now Goldfinches have learned to mimic siskins.  This will make much more work for me in winter."  But when I tracked down the singer, it was indeed a siskin.  He sat there singing, happy to be near the only spruce trees with cones on them.