OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2011

From:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jul 2011 18:18:05 -0400
Hi all,

The Mississippi Kite nest in Hocking County's Hide-A-Way Hills is now occupied by one juvenile, which is actively being fed by the adults. Should be two; we don't know what happened to the other, or why that egg didn't hatch if the female laid the normal two eggs.

Anyway, Melissa Krygier, who has a place in HAWH, sent along a few photos of Junior Kite and I have posted them on my blog: http://jimmccormac.blogspot.com/

We'll hope to have a 2nd "Kite Day", when interested birders can enter the normally off-limits Hide-A-Way Hills to see these birds when the youngster is free-flying yet still being fed by the adults. It'll probably take place in about a month, and as much notice as is possible will be given.

Jim

Jim McCormac
Columbus, Ohio
Like Nature? http://jimmccormac.blogspot.com/