OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2011

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jul 2011 06:38:15 -0700
A long, hot day in Ashtabula Co. yesterday turned up some good birds.  Shorebird migration is picking up at Conneaut harbor, with 10 species seen.  Highlights there were: green heron, 4 bald eagles, semipalmated plovers, spotted sandpipers, solitary sandpiper, lesser yellowlegs, sanderling, semipalmated sandpipers, least sandpipers, pectoral sandpiper, 4 STILT SANDPIPERS, first juv. herring gull, 2 LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULLS (first-summer & third-summer birds), Caspian terns, belted kingfisher, willow flycatcher, purple martins, bank swallows, marsh wren, brown thrasher, and 5+ yellow warblers (only 1 behaving like a local nester).  In the city of Conneaut was an imm. red-shouldered hawk.  In late morning I took a break from the spit and did some atlasing in E Ashtabula Twp.  Some real nice woodlands along Sill Rd. and Middle Rd. had a surprising amount of passerine activity, especially when it got cloudy and darker/cooler.  Heard/seen there were:
 ruby-throated hummingbird, e. wood-pewees, Acadian flycatcher, red-eyed vireos, yellow-throated vireo, house wrens, veery, wood thrushes, yellow warblers, Am. redstart, ovenbird, c. yellowthroats, hooded warblers, and e. towhees.  On the way back home in early evening, I stopped at the wetlands/grasslands area of Dorset WA.  Birds there included: wood ducks, ruby-throated hummingbird, e. phoebe, e. kingbird, purple martins, tree swallows, bank swallow, cliff swallows, barn swallows, e. bluebirds, swamp sparrow, and bobolinks.  Farther south in Trumbull Co., an Am. kestrel was in Kinsman Twp.  Craig Holt, Lowellville