OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2011

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jul 2011 16:09:56 -0400
I was tickled to hear Tim & Laura Dornan had visited the Pickaway County
spot I described yesterday, and seen as many bank swallows last week as
we saw yesterday--8-10K. They observed a larger proportion of swallows
on the pavement itself; these birds spilled out over the fields along
with those on the utility wires. We noticed smaller numbers of birds on
the pavement too, but didn't mention it, nor did we pay adequate
attention. The Dornans noticed that about half of the total number of
swallows were on the road (far more than we'd seen), but also that half
of the birds on the road were *lying on their sides* before they took off!
        Wow. My first reaction was to think that these burrowing colonial birds
might be plagued by parasites, and that on a hot sunny day they were
able to "cook" these organisms by lying on blacktop on a 95-degree day,
something that could do a lot to get them ready for their long migration
to South America. The Dornans agreed with this in principle,
interestingly adding that a blacktop road on a hot day exhales lots of
petrochemical vapors that would do a job on parasitic organisms.
        I haven't read about this possibility anywhere, but would be interested
to know if it makes sense. Our swallows have proved to be pretty
adaptable to our changes to the landscape. Rough-wingeds have nested in
drains often, even niches in buildings and exhaust pipes of vehicles
left standing for even a few days. Cliff swallows have become 'bridge
swallows,' and now occupy every bridge along the Scioto between here and
the Ohio River. Martins apparently no longer nest at all if humans don't
provide perfect sites.
        If anyone knows of some published material on bank swallows using
overheated blacktop roads to kill parasites--or another explanation for
this behavior--it would be interesting to hear more. These birds might
be around for a few more days if anyone wants to witness the spectacle,
and provide more information.
Bill Whan
Columbus