OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2011

From:
jen brumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
jen brumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jul 2011 13:47:28 +0000
Greetings all -
I just spoke to the wildlife division managers at the Pickerel Creek Wildlife Area office. There is now a positive update on shorebird habitat at both Pickerel and Pipe Creek Wildlife Areas. Pipe Creek: Unit B went completely dry in late June. However, this unit was recently "flooded" this past week with 1-2 inches of water. Mudflat exists. Pickerel Creek: the eastern units at Pickerel are showing plenty of mudflats.
Last year, Pipe Creek hosted upwards of 26 spp of shorebirds over the course of the fall with highlights of Marbled Godwit, avocet, Buff-breasted Sandpiper, Red-necked Phalarope, Red Knot, and more. This location, if it offers prime habitat, can be, arguably, the best location along the northcoast of Ohio for observing migrant shorebirds. This is also the location where Larry Richardson found a Black-bellied Whistling-Duck last year.
Information on PIPE CREEK: http://www.ohiobirds.org/birdingsites/showsite.php?Site_ID=104
Information on PICKEREL CREEK: http://www.ohiobirds.org/birdingsites/showsite.php?Site_ID=31
good luck and best of birding - JB

Jen Brumfield