OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2011

Date:
Sun, 24 Jul 2011 02:45:45 -0400
Greetings!

Last night (Friday...actually it was this morning :-D) during the third
watch(2-3 am) I had an opportunity to shoot one of the things that I
love to photograph-lightening.  I saw it go over Lima on my way home, so
when I got home, I watched the radar, and it was trekking towards Big
Island, so with camera in hand I raced over to the old ponds of Big
Island WA over on Larue Prospect....Lightening reflecting off of a
pond...even better!

While the sight of this approaching electrical storm is awesome enough,
the sounds that were coming from the ponds were equally impressive.  Of
course there were Frogs and Crickets and also out in the dark, there was
the occasional Heron squawk and a sparrow or two with the occasional
cheep.  But the best part were the  Marsh Wrens that were singing just
as loud and just as long and just as continuous as during the day.  All
the way up and down the pond there was a chorus of Marsh Wrens.

So returning today (Saturday) in the evening right before the next line
of storms, I was able to see and hear:

Marsh Wrens
Song Sparrow w/food in mouth
Swamp Sparrow
Field Sparrow
Willow Flycatcher
Wood Ducks (Non-breeding plumage) w/chicks
GBH
Common Moorhen
Yellow Warbler
and
Indigo Buntings

Plus I got this sparrow as well that is a bit of a mystery, I have a
feeling I know what it is, but I need a little ID help:
http://sjlarue.smugmug.com/Unsorted/OhioBirds/16108559_K6usy/1397848942_6VDbqKM/1397849851_3tQWTh6#1397844583_vKZw8BM

I meant to get over to the ponds on 95, but the approaching storms with
cloud to ground lightening nixed that part of my trip.

Pics of Scenery:
http://sjlarue.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Storms-1/18190672_cxF5Vd
Pics of Birds:
http://sjlarue.smugmug.com/Unsorted/OhioBirds/16108559_K6usy

...Sorry, no recording of the serenade...I didn't have the artist's
release. :-D

Have a great week and God Bless!

Steve J

(aka sjlarue)