OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2011

From:
Heather Raymond <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Heather Raymond <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jul 2011 13:14:41 -0400
Visited glacier ridge at 6:20 am and before I could set my scope up I saw a regal king rail step out of the reeds under the tower.  A few minutes later I noticed a big grayish bird foraging in the same area, without bins it looked almost like a gosling!  In my scope its rail-like stance and bill appeared, but I didn't notice the bright coverts like the adult king rail.  By the time I got my camera the bird ducked back in the reeds. I was there for an hour and I never saw it or the king again (a few other birders showed up and were also not able to relocate the king).  Anyone else notice this bird?  I did have great looks at the least bitterns (yeah!!!), sora with young, Virginia rail with young, young coots & pied-billeds (where were the adults?), snipe, green heron, and the following shorebirds:
Semi-palmated plover
Pectoral sandpiper
Greater yellowlegs
Lesser yellowlegs
Peep (only glimpse, probably least since legs looked light)
Solitary sandpiper
Killdeer

The ducks are tricky eclipse now, but thought I saw a few blue and green winged teal mixed with the numerous mallards.

What an amazing spot!

Cheers,
Heather

Sent from my iPhone