OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2011

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jul 2011 16:47:59 -0700
Bob Lane's post covered most of the Conneaut news.  Some additional notes--additional spp. were green heron, spotted sandpiper, belted kingfisher, willow flycatcher, and purple martin.  The hen pheasant was my first there in 21 years of birding the harbor/city/township.  I walked within about 6 feet of it (in the water) but it did fly off.  One of the Caspian terns was the first juv. of the season.  Yellow warblers numbered 12+ in early morning.  I saw another imm. bald eagle along the lakeshore in North Kingsville.  On the way home I checked Pymatuning Res. and Mosquito L.  Water levels were high at both sites, no shorebird potential at either place at present.  An osprey was at it's cell tower nest site in Andover.  Even better was a family group of 4 SANDHILL CRANES in a field just west of Shenango WA along Rte. 87 in Kinsman Twp.  Craig Holt, Lowellville