OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2011

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jul 2011 10:23:19 -0400
The Ohio Bird Records Committee's official state checklist (2008) covers
420 species. Since then, five other species have been accepted by the
Committee (reddish egret, dusky flycatcher, Allen's hummingbird,
golden-crowned sparrow, and whooping crane), with only the first two
publicly announced, mainly because of delays in the publication in which
decisions have traditionally been treated.
        Additionally, three Supplements to the official North American list
have since appeared in the Auk, all with refinements that have caused
significant changes to the Ohio list; many scientific and some common
names have changed, as has the order in which they are currently arranged.
        Finally, the Committee has documentation, which in my opinion is
significant and likely persuasive, for the addition of three additions
to the Ohio list: a historical one for Bicknell's thrush, and recent
ones for Cassin's sparrow and fish crow. This would put the Ohio list at
428 species, and I have included these species in [brackets] in the list
so it can easily be updated if called for. If you have documentation for
the sparrow or the crow, please send to Committee Secretary Ned Keller
at [log in to unmask]   .
         I have put together a simple PDF file of the Ohio list which
incorporates all these changes. It is basic, but arranged according to
the most recent order, and includes all additions and name changes. Just
scientific and English names in the latest taxonomic order.
        As it is a PDF (150 KB), you can adapt it as you care to.  I don't have
a web site, but I can mail it as an attachment to anyone who asks for
one. I tried hard not to make any mistakes, but if you find one, please
let me know!
Bill Whan
Columbus
p.s. this is *hardly* a replacement for the OBRC Checklist, which has a
wealth of other information, but it does update the information which
has been added since 2008. The source of all new information except for
Ohio occurrences is http://www.aou.org/checklist/north/full.php  .