OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2011

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jul 2011 13:36:34 -0400
We visited "The Sandspit" at 10:45AM and again at 12:15PM. Birding was very slow. There possibly could have been more dogs than people; and there was a lot of people. The only shorebirds were 1 Sanderling and 4 Killdeer. The only other highlights were 1 adult and 1 juvenile Caspian Tern, 1 juvenile Bald Eagle, and a large group of Turkey Vultures on the logpile, on the right, on the way in. A new entertaining sight for "The Sandspit" today; was watching a dog owner walk his Labrador type dog, which was on a leash, out a couple hundred feet in the water, to a shallow area, to squat and place his doggie doo-doo. The Marina area was people crazy with the Lakefront Dockfest going on. It appeared the fishermen were all getting their limit of Perch. The highlight of our visit to the area was seeing 400+ Bank Swallows east of the The Marina at one of the aggregate piles. The north facing side of the pile was vertical from some of the material being removed. The Bank Swallows were clinging to the face, which was located in the shade. It was the forth pile away from the lake. Even though not being birdy today, it was still a fun visit to the Conneaut Harbor Area.  Bob and Denise Lane