OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2011

From:
Scott Pendleton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scott Pendleton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Jul 2011 16:24:34 -0400
Dr. Rodewald asked me to visit 63b7cw. A block that is a 1/3 block because the Ohio River bisected
it. It was residential and industrial and had 11 sps recorded (Osprey nest was one). I had looked at it
and dismissed it until he contacted me. I agreed to do it, mostly because I am incapable of saying no,
and thought I would make the best of it by using my kayak to do the river bank and a creek.
 First, I would like to take back the negative vibes and bad juju I sent Dr. Rodewald's way. It is
remarkable how many birds will breed in a strip of trees 15-50 ft wide surrounded by river on one
side and steel mill on the other. 37 breeding species along the water ways, including begging BW
Hawks in the next block west. There were 75+ Waxwings of all life stages and several Orioles feeding
on an abundant grape crop. I was strafed by both a Catbird protecting a youngster that had fallen out
of the nest and a Mockingbird.
A mayfly hatch is in full swing and as I paddled down river they would take to the air and all four of
our common swallows, purple martins and chimney swifts circled me the entire time. When the
Catbirds landed on branches the mayflies would abound and the kingbirds fed gobs of them to three
old-enough-to-fend-for-themselves fledglings. These were beefy mayflies and it was interesting to
watch nature at work as the migrating birds used the bounty to put on weight for the trip south.
Still Atlasing in the East- Scott Pendleton