OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2011

From:
Terri Martincic <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Terri Martincic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Jul 2011 16:43:34 -0400
Shannon, our 18-year old daughter has left home to attend the Culinary Institute of America in New York State.  She is off into the world making her dreams happen at the best culinary school in America.

Today is also almost the last day of the Breeding Bird Atlas (OBBA), a Six year project that has dominated my summer free time.  My garden is looking a bit wild so maybe, just maybe I’ll get it whipped into shape next year (we’ll see about that).  This weekend found me out the door at 5 am to beat the heat and add a few more birds.

This project has taught me about the bird species raising young in Ohio.  Six years ago I had no idea what birds to expect, how common some species as Yellow-throated Vireo & Savanna Sparrows would be.   Savanna Sparrows nest at Hopkins Airport near my home, unknown by me until I started documenting birds everywhere I went.

One of my best birding days happened in Huron County this summer.  Within about 15 minutes a Dickcissle, Sedge Wren and Grasshopper Sparrow were found, and most amazingly indentified.  Another great day was shared with friends when we found multiple Red-headed Woodpeckers in a block with no data, also in Huron County.  Birding in places that haven’t been birded can be interesting; you never know what you’ll find.

Now the slogging thru the data continues.  I have notebooks full of lists (luckily mostly entered).  I’ll also be eBirding some of the sightings too.  The science tracking bird populations is critical for understanding the decline of many bird species.  As an environmentalist I seek to understand the big picture by contributing something to my little corner of the world.

So next summer I’ll continue with bird surveys for the Cleveland Museum of Natural History, which has preserved and protects over 5,000 acres of high quality natural areas all across northern Ohio.  We’re always looking for volunteers so if you enjoy documenting birds too let me know.

If you have summer lists of birds let me know, particularly lists from your home, or private property could add to the OBBA.  Check out what we found:
http://bird.atlasing.org/Atlas/OH/Main?viewResults=1

I can’t wait to see what life brings our family next.   As Shannon’s fortune cookie said last night “There is no end. There is no beginning. There is only the infinite passion of life".

Terri M
Berea, OH
Regional Coordinator 30/40