OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2011

From:
Alex Champagne <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alex Champagne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Aug 2011 20:38:00 -0400
Alex Hughes and I birded the wetlands at Batelle Darby Creek this afternoon
in search of shorebirds, and found a few other nice birds as well.  The main
surprise was a female Blue Grosbeak at the Kuhlwein wetlands.  To reach the
location of the Grosbeak, park at the lot at the corner of Kulwein Rd. and
Darby Creek Dr., and take the bike path north until it curves eastward.  She
was perching and calling right at this bend.

About half a mile on the bike path south of Kuhlwein Rd., just south of a
soybean field, there are some nice mudflats developing, as Bill Whan and
others have mentioned.  The area can't be seen from the bike path, and
requires walking through some tall grass to reach it, but is worth the trip.
 We were able to locate many of the previously reported species in this
area, including:

Wilson's Phalarope (2)
Stilt Sandpiper (2)
Pectoral Sandpiper (2)
Semipalmated Plover (1)

Lesser Yellowlegs, Semipalmated Sandpipers, and Least Sandpipers were fairly
abundant.  We also found 2 Pied-billed Grebes, and several Blue-winged Teal.

Alex Champagne