OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2011

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Aug 2011 22:04:56 -0400
A new bikepath here in Gahanna has opened up a good viewpoint for Nighthawk migration along the Big Walnut riparian corridor, just north of where it bends around the eastern end of Columbus Int'l Airport.  After several lackluster evenings, the floodgates opened tonight, with 166 birds in about 20 minutes (7:35-7:55).  Virtually all of the birds were flying high in small groups towards the southeast, also skirting the airport to follow the riparian corridor.  Migrating nighthawks may feel vulnerable away from trees; perhaps they can dive into the canopy to elude predators.  I hope someone was watching the Olentangy corridor tonight, since that gets even larger migrant flocks.