OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2011

From:
Noah Comet <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Noah Comet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Aug 2011 13:11:06 -0400
It's been a while since I noticed one there (although I haven't been
actively looking), so this morning I was pleased to see that at least one
Peregrine Falcon is still hanging around the Tower East building in the
Highland Hills/ Shaker Heights/ Beachwood area, adjacent to Highland Park
Cemetery (itself a pretty good birding spot).

Today I saw the bird on the west-facing wall of the building, easily visible
from the gas station where I was refueling.  These must be some of the most
easily visible Peregrines in the Cleveland area---fairly low down (at least
compared to the Terminal Tower birds) and typically perched in a location
that allows viewers to observe from a spot where it's easy and legal to park
and look without blocking traffic.  Just be careful getting to the spot, as
it nestles in one of the most confusing and dangerous intersections (with
seven points to it!) in the Cleveland area.

There are usually two Peregrines on the building; I didn't have a chance to
look for the other one.

While I'm posting, I suppose I can also add that the Jackson Field (Geauga)
Screech Owl has been frequently visible these last several weeks.  On my
most recent visit, there was no owl in sight, but I did find some
deteriorating pellets, all of which proved to contain the remains of
Northern Short-Tailed Shrews.  (Probably insect parts too, but I'm less able
to ID those, especially during a quick poke-with-a-stick examination
on-site.)  Also near the pellets was the flotsam and jetsam of a Blue
Jay---I've heard that the Screech Owls can tackle birds even larger than
Jays, but this was a new find for me.

Finally, also on the subject of Owls, the pine-zone of the Tree Farm Trail
in CVNP (near the Horseshoe Pond) has been extremely reliable this summer
for Barred Owls.  In fact, I've yet to visit the area this season and
*not*see one.  Last week I had sight of two, and had the pleasure of
hearing them
raucously duet (very very loudly!) with a third in the distance encoring
with the typical 8-note ("who cooks for you?") call.  Unforgettable!   These
are flighty owls, so I suggest walking into the pines slowly and keeping
your eyes high in the trees.  If you're quiet and keen-eyed, you might see
one roosting, but you're more likely to see them in flight toward the tops
of the pines, heading away from you.  Even so, they'll often perch for a
moment or two to check you out before receding into the woods.  This trail
doesn't seem to get heavy traffic, but it's fast becoming my favorite in
CVNP.

Best,
Noah