OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2011

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Aug 2011 17:28:43 -0700
I went to Villa Angela and Wildwood State Parks on the east side of Cleveland on Lake Erie today from 1 to 4:440pm.  It looked like it was going to rain and it did look like rain straight north on the lake but the sun came out just before 3pm.  Mark Anderson was there before 11am and stayed past 1:30pm.  He found two species of warblers before I arrived, BT Blue female & Common Yellowthroat.  He had seen more Caspian Terns than I saw (4 I believe) and some Common Terns.  After he left the Common Terns returned.  All the warblers I saw were in Villa Angela on the western edge between the path and the fence line of the mobile home park closer to the lake opening.  Four more species arrived just before 3pm and more were missed.  Here are some of my sightings:

Villa Angela
Turkey Vultures 5-6
Green Heron 1 adult (flying around field near library)
Caspian Terns 2 adults on beach
Common Terns 2 (adult & juvenile) on beach
Red-eyed Vireo 1
Swainson's Thrush 1 (no red tail, mostly med brown-made the roof clucking noise like a catbird) first I have seen this fall
American Robins - still very many

Warblers:
Chestnut-sided 1
Magnolia 2
Black-throated Blue 1m
Bay-breasted 1
American Redstart 3
Canada 1m (seen two different times)
Most I saw from following the incessant calls of the Cardinals.

Then I went to Sims Park in Euclid for only 20 mins from 5 to 5:20pm.  There was:
Chestnut-sided Warbler 1
Magnolia 3
Wilson's Warbler 2

There were more but then they all disappeared.  It would of been better to have been here as there was less dense foliage blocking the views as the birds have been hard to see in the dense cover and they have been very high up.

Nancy Anderson
Richmond Hts, OH
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/