OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2011

From:
"Russell, Jill" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Russell, Jill
Date:
Tue, 30 Aug 2011 07:47:48 -0400
Greetings Ohio Birders!

I hope you all had a great Summer!  Lots of great sightings were posted to the listserv, and I'm bummed that Dave and I missed all this good Ohio birding!   We just got back from teaching and studying  Boreal Owls in Alaska all summer, and it feels like we missed so much! I hope we see many of you at the Midwest Birding Synposium next month.  It has got to be my favorite birding event in Ohio because we get to see all of our birding friends!

July 31st marked the end of the Summer season in terms of the way we keep track of bird records; June 1st to July 31st.  A big THANK YOU to those of you who have already submitted your sightings!  For those of you who still have sightings to report, please consider submitting your observations of Ohio birds to The Ohio Cardinal. Each issue reports the species account for the state, and relies heavily on field observations from birders. Even if you have reported sightings to the listserv, please provide a list of your most important records to ensure that they are cited in the journal. A convenient form for submitting seasonal observations and additional information is available at: http://www.ohiobirds.org/publications/cardinal/aboutcardinal.php

Please send your Summer 2011 field observations to me by September 25th.  You can send your report to either my e-mail or by postal mail to the following address:

Dr. Jill M. Russell
Editor, The Ohio Cardinal
Biology Department
College of Mount St Joseph
5701 Delhi Rd
Cincinnati, OH 45233-1670
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

Andy Jones and I continue to diligently work on the completion of the 2009 and 2010 issues of The Cardinal.  Spring/Summer 2009 is out and Spring 2010 is at the printers.  We are on track to meet our goal of getting caught up in 2012 - thanks to many of you!  It has been a pleasure working with you in my new role, and I want you all to know how much I really appreciate your patience and support.  We make a good team!

Don't forget to send your photographs and please consider writing up an article!  I know there are some good birding stories out there.  Wait until you hear my "bear spray" story!

Thanks and happy birding!

Jill

Jill M Russell, PhD
Assistant Professor of Biology