OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2011

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Aug 2011 17:10:34 -0400
A brief run through Pick POnds and neighboring Portman Park yesterday found water levels still high, but some interesting birds around.  I also saw the albino sandpiper seen by Gene Stauffer, but I wasn't sure of its ID.  I'm glad he got some good pics of it.  I wasn't sure of Lesser Yellowlegs or Solitary Sandpiper, but perhaps some more shorebird-experienced eyes can help us here.  Ellis Pond and Arrowhead marsh were just starting to show fringes of mud, but had no shorebirds other than Solitary Sandpipers and Kildeer.  Other birds of note included:

Waterfowl - very little other than Mallards and Wood Ducks, and no big #s of either
Common Gallinule - an adult and 4 juveniles were poking around the eastern-most pond in Arrowhead marsh
Sora - 1 was prowling around the edge of the Ellis Pond overlook where the albino sandpiper was located.
Sandhill Cranes - the pair that had been hanging around the area were easily visible from the Arrowhead marsh overlook
Herons - 8+ Great Blues and 4 Great Egrets were scattered between Wood Duck marsh, Teal Pond, and Arrowhead marsh
Hummingbirds - 2 were at Portman Park, while another 2 were along the Meadowlark Trail, both unusual spots for them.
Flycatchers - 7+ Wood Pewees were in the forest patch at Portman Park, wile a late E.Kingbird was calling at Arrowhead marsh
Vireos - a few Warbling were singing (both at Portman and Pick Ponds), while Portman had 6-8 Red-eyed (migrants, since they don't nest there).
Swallows - surprisingly few, with only a couple of Barn & Rough-winged over Arrowhead marsh
Warblers - not a great area for them, but Blackpoll & Chesnut-sided were at Portman