OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2011

From:
"Lehman, Jay" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lehman, Jay
Date:
Sun, 7 Aug 2011 23:47:03 -0400
On my way to and from Englewood Metro-park, I stopped at the Greater Miami River along S. Edwin C. Moses Blvd. across from Carillon Park to check this spot for shorebirds.  Not much present at about 4-6 pm.

Killdeer 30
Spotted Sandpiper 1
Least Sandpiper 6

Englewood Metro-park, at the circle turn-around, the only spot with water and shorebird habitat

Killdeer 200
Least Sandpiper 4

I stopped at Spring Valley Wildlife Area at the boardwalk on my way home.  I left the boardwalk at about 8:00 pm.

Barred Owl 2, calling
Red-shouldered Hawk 1
Least Bittern 1 heard giving its "quacking-like" call
Great Blue Heron 1
Green Heron 1
Yellow Warbler 2, 1 singing, 1 seen
Willow Flycatcher 1, seen and giving "whit" call note
Eastern Wood Peewee 1, giving down-slurred "pee-uurr" call
Eastern Kingbird 2
Red-winged Blackbirds are flocking to the marsh to roost as sunset approaches

I also stopped by Caesar Creek SP and lake.

No shorebird habitat at Young's Road boat ramp.  The water is too high.

Great Egret 1
Great Blue Heron 1
Yellow-billed Cuckoo 1, flew over the parking lot calling in flight

There was nothing at the beach off of Route 73 except Ring-billed Gulls and late swimming people.
Jay

Jay G. Lehman
Cincinnati, OH