OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2011

From:
Dave Slager <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Slager <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Aug 2011 15:06:33 -0400
Hi all,

Right now near my house in Columbus there is a family of
Yellow-throated Warblers that can be rather easily studied.  I thought
this might be of interest to some on this list if, like me a week ago,
you haven't seen the juvenile plumage of Yellow-throated Warbler
before.  It is a neat plumage not depicted in most field guides.  The
juveniles look more or less all gray, with whiteish tips to the wing
coverts, no black on the face or sides, and no yellow on the throat.
The head is mostly nondescript gray also, with a whiteish supercilium
being about the only thing that stood out to me.

I have seen these birds at least 3 times in the past week (including
today), always in a localized area near the 5th Ave dam of the
Olentangy River in Columbus (just south of OSU).  The birds are
hanging out in the riparian vegetation near the dam viewing area on
the east side of the river north of 5th Ave, and also in the
triangular island of trees on the south side of 5th ave in between the
two forks of the bike path.  The riparian trees here are a bit lower
than normal and the strips of trees are quite narrow, making it a
relatively easy place to view the birds if they are still in the area.

You won't hear the male singing anymore, but the fledglings are
constantly begging and the adults coming in to feed the birds have
been giving a lot of loud chip notes.  They have been easily detected
even during the heat of the day.  There has also been a Green-winged
Teal frequenting the dam over the past 2 weeks.

Good birding,
Dave Slager
Columbus, Ohio