OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2011

From:
Laura Dornan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Laura Dornan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Aug 2011 13:36:07 -0700
Today at the observation tower at Funk WA, there were a few yellowlegs and a
Bald Eagle but the best sighting there was a rail.  Unfortunately it was too far
and too short a look to tell if it was a Virginia or a Sora (or maybe even
something more exciting).  But while the tower was only moderately interesting,
Wilderness Rd provided quite a bit of excitment.  First we notice a very large
number of Great Blue Herons (finally decided on about 35; mostly young ones but
quited a few adults too).  Then a dog ran through a distant field and a very
large flock of Sandhill Cranes lifted off, swirled around for a bit and then
gradually dispersed.  I would guess close to 50, possibly more.  Then, just as
we were tiring of counting herons and cranes, a Willet flew over head, north to
south.  Hoped he would put down in the pond on the south side of the road but he
didn't seem too.  Also had an Osprey and 3 Bald Eagles.  All of this activity
took place in the 1st large pond, coming from the east, north side, between
11:00 AM & noon.

Laura Dornan
Louisville