OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2011

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Aug 2011 11:06:55 -0400
Along with all the destruction and misery of a hurricane elsewhere,
Ohioans will probably have pleasant weather this week. Fortunately,
farther east the ability to forecast storms should prevent injuries and
losses of life at least, and the ability to foresee storm damage means
those who build too close to the shore should know what they are getting
into. As the ice melts, the shore itself will be moving inland as well.
        On a far less significant but still interesting front, birders should
be alert for storm-driven seabirds, even here. We have about a dozen
pelagic species on the state list that arguably were delivered here by
storms in the Atlantic or the Gulf of Mexico. It makes sense to keep an
eye out over Lake Erie (where we have records of frigatebirds, black
guillemot, ancient murrelet, and Atlantic puffin), or any body of water:
our only black-capped petrel records come from the Cincinnati
riverfront, our only Leach's storm-petrel was found on a street in
Dayton, we've had frigatebirds in Stark, Licking, Hamilton, and Morrow
Counties; our only sooty tern came from Clermont County, and one
thick-billed murre was found on the little lake at Barkcamp SP in
Belmont County (by the founder of the Boy Scouts!) and another in a
snowy farm field in Preble County. This spring's royal tern was likely
brought here by Gulf storm winds.
        Birds seem sensitive to changes in air pressure of which we are
unaware, and take measures to avoid storm perils. Seabirds have few
options except to steer away if possible, and many are killed by
hurricanes. Apparently few of those blown well inshore--such as to
Ohio--survive.
        Anyway, folks out birding this weekend, especially near bodies of
water, should keep a sharp eye out for oceanic and shore rarities. Don't
rule out locally new species like shearwaters, odd terns, skimmers,
etc., either. Check for dead birds on shorelines.  Hurricane season is
just beginning, and if we cannot really enjoy hurricanes, we can learn
from them.
Bill Whan
Columbus