OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2011

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Aug 2011 10:36:01 -0400
The Conneaut Sandspit was a brutal , windy, cold place, this morning. Jeff Harvey, my wife Denise, and myself, arrived at The Sandspit at 7:05 AM and departed for The Lorain Impoundment at 10:05AM. A good variety of birds were present, but nothing new to add to recent sightings. 29 species of birds were recorded; here are some of the highlights: Black-crowned Night-Heron  1 juvenile,  Bald Eagle  2 juveniles,   Black-bellied Plover  1 in breeding plumage,   Semipalmated Plover  6+,   American Avocet  1,  Lesser Yellowlegs  2,  Greater Yellowlegs  1,  Ruddy Turnstone  5,  Sanderling  30+,  Semipalmated Sandpiper  10+,  Least Sandpiper  10+, Bonaparte's Gull  1, Great Black-backed Gull  1, and Caspian Tern  4. Bob Lane / Mahoning County