OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2011

From:
Leslie Sours <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leslie Sours <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Sep 2011 22:16:47 -0400
Thanks for the heads up, Andi.
I walked over to UAHS this evening to see the spectacle.  There were easily
still 1,000 birds, probably quite a few more than that.  I also saw about a
dozen common nighthawks over the school.  A few folks saw me looking up and
stopped to look.  Most thought that they were seeing bats, and one gentleman
said that he knew for an absolute fact that they were starlings.  The high
school principle walked out and watched for a minute...just long enough to
have one of the birds "drop" a calling card onto him!  He knew that they
were swifts!
I stopped at Dublin Sells last night and saw a great show there as well.
Wonderful to have two evenings with lots of swifts, beautiful sunsets,
topped off with the huge red moon.