OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2011

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Sep 2011 18:55:01 -0700
I went to Villa Angela and Wildwood State Parks on Lake Erie on the east side of Cleveland today.  I was there from 10:40 to 12:00 noon.  I left for lunch with my husband and stopped at Rockefeller Park Greenhouse on the way back and found a Ruby-crowned Kinglet.  I returned to Villa Angela from 2:45 to 7:15pm.  I found 9 species of warblers in the morning and added three more species later as I had to re-find birds in different areas.  Mark Anderson came form 4 to 6pm.  After 5pm more warblers seemed to come out and were active around the grassy knoll area/woods but then seemed to be hard to find shortly after.  Some of the same birds were seen, some were missed and he found a Black-throated Green which I missed.  Shortly after 6:15pm I started hearing/seeing White-throated Sparrows which I haven't seen here this fall.  Here are the birds I saw and most everything was seen in Villa Angela.  It was not a particularly overly birdy day.

Rockefeller Park Greenhouse (off of Martin Luther King Blvd @ E. 88th st)
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 1 (first I have seen this fall)

Villa Angela State Park

Hairy Woodpecker 1f
Northern Flicker 5-6
Empid Flycatchers 2
Red-eyed Vireo 1
Wren sp 1  (seen & heard)
Veery 1
Swainson's Thrush 3 or 4
Wood Thrush 1 (same area as seen previously)
Gray Catbirds - many

Warblers:
Nashville 4
Chestnut-sided 3
Magnolia 6
Black-throated Blue 3 (1f, 2m)
Yellow-rumped 3 (first I have seen this fall)
Black-throated Green 1 (seen by Mark )
Blackpoll 6
Black-and-White 2
American Redstart 3
Ovenbird 1 (seen same area as previously seen near fenceline mobile home park)
Common Yellowthroat 3
Wilsons  3
Canada 1

Song Sparrow 1
White-throated Sparrows 4 (only seen after 6:15pm)

Nancy Anderson
Richmond Hts, OH
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/