OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2011

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Sep 2011 07:29:35 -0400
I spent yesterday morning roaming around the north end of Hoover Reservoir (where most of the Nature Preserve is located) looking for both landbird and shorebird migrants with some success.  Landbird fallout was sporadic, and much of the new mudflats along the shore were vacant, but there were enough interesting birds to keep me motivated.  I stopped at Oxbow Island, Area I, Wiese-Plumb accesses, the Boardwalk, Eastside Yacht Club/Redbank Rd, and Sunbury causeway.  Both the boardwalk and the EYC had fair amounts of mudflat and small shorebird flocks.  Highlights included:

Cormorants - numbers on the rise, with 150+ on the morning
Herons,egrets - 20+ Great Blues over all the mudflats, along with 8 Great Egrets (mostly at EYC flats)

Shorebirds - no great flocks, but decent diversity: Semipalm.Plover - 4 (Boardwalk), Kildeer - 80+, Solitary Spr - 1, L.Yellowlegs - 6, Least Spr - 5, Semiplam.Spr - 3, Pectoral Spr - 6, Stilt Spr - 2 (Boardwalk)

Gulls & terns - most of the Ring-bills were on the gravel bar at EYC and the flock included 1 Herring Gull and 6 Caspian Terns
Raptors - not much, but there was a calling Cooper's and a juvenile Bald Eagle at Area I.
Swifts - steady stream all morning.  Roosts down in Columbus, Gahanna, & Reynoldsburg are peaking around 1000 birds the past week.
Flycatchers - few, with only 2 Pewees and 1 Phoebe
Swallows - also scant, with only 3 Barn Swallows flitting around the boardwalk
Vireos - Red-eyeds at Oxbow & Wiese; Wiese also had 2 White-eyed
Thrushes - Swainsons at several locations, but nothing else
Mimids - Catbirds abundant at every stop (Wiese had 20+); only 1 Brown Thrasher (at Oxbow)
cedar waxwings - lots of small flocks at every stop.  Oxbow had accumulated 50+.

warblers - low diversity but fair #s; good day for Cape mays (8+, at most stops) and Magnolias (6).  Others included Parula, Nashville, Tennessee, Black-thr.Green, Blackpoll, Redstarts (4), and Wilsons

Buntings - Indigos at most stops
Blackbirds - surprisingly few, with only a handful of Redwing and grackle overflys.