OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2011

From:
"Joseph S. Ott" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joseph S. Ott
Date:
Mon, 19 Sep 2011 08:11:10 -0700
This past Saturday I was at the subject park looking at and photographing warblers.  Seemed to be an abundance of them.
While there, I heard the 'hoots' of an owl.

I went back yesterday and heard the owl again.  This was back in the North West corner of the park near where the houses are close to the trail.
Then I heard a lot of Blue Jays making a lot of noise up in the upper canopy of the trees.  I went to see what the noise was all about.
It seems they were harassing the owl.  I got to see the owl trying to fly away several times.  I only ever got glimpses of it, but it was a pretty big bird.
It pretty much flew parallel to the trail back to the baseball fields while the Blue Jays continued to follow/chase/harass it.  I lost sight of it at the baseball fields.

I'm guessing a Barred Owl(?).

If any locals venture over there some evening or weekend, and wouldn't mind a newbie birder tagging along to see and learn, let me know.

Thanks.