OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2011

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Sep 2011 16:14:14 -0400
I've been a bit lazy about updating the Franklin County bird list for
2011, mostly because--as expected--new species have only very sloooowly
accumulated. We picked up four new species in June, *none* in July,
three in August, and thus far in September eight (Henslow's sparrow,
buff-breasted/Baird's/western sandpipers, sedge wren,
Wilson's/red-necked phalaropes, and black tern). Our total for the year
is now 256.
        It looks like Hoover Reservoir is not going to cooperate with vast
stretches of shorebird-attracting mudflats this year, but there and
elsewhere we still might find the large shorebirds (avocet, whimbrel,
godwits), plus knot and sanderling. Soon we will have Nelson's and
LeConte's sparrows, if we can find them, and maybe a yellow rail or a
red phalarope. Very possible are laughing and Franklin's gulls, common
terns, and white pelicans. A rufous hummingbird would not be too
outlandish if folks keep their feeders out until November.
        Fall is an excellent time for vagrants, but forecasts of course are
iffy. Late in fall we'll be hoping for the scarcer loons and grebes,
gulls, waterfowl, and we could approach or surpass 280 before the year's
out. Please report new birds for the list; an updated version will go up
soon at
http://www.columbusaudubon.org/production/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=675&Itemid=216
Bill Whan
Columbus