OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2011

From:
irina shulgina <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
irina shulgina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Sep 2011 17:58:57 -0700
After careful revision of the pictures taken on Sept.20 at Darby Creek Wetlands pond I've realized that it was a group of 13 American Golden (not Black-bellied) Plovers. None of the birds showed a black patch at the inner side of the wings at their flight photos.
Today I went to the pond again. The only plovers that I found were 4 Semipalmated. Other shorebirds were - Killdeers, 5 Greater and 25 Lesser Yellowlegs (one with badly injured leg which I also saw 2 days ago), Pectoral, Semipalmated and Least Sandpipers, 3 Red-necked and 1 Wilson's Phalaropes.
At one moment all the birds took off from the pond. And just behind my back I heard a swooping sound and saw an adult Perigrine Falcon flying away. I realized that he made a stoop (hopefully not at me) that I missed to see! 20 minutes later it was second (this time immature) Peregrine flying over the pond heading south as the first one.
Another raptors I saw - Turkey Vultures, Cooper's Hawk, Bald Eagle, and a very close look at the female Northern Harrier.
At the pond I found also several Mallards, 8 Blue-winged Teals, a Pintail, 6 Pied-billed Grebes, 1 Coot.
Over the marsh I saw a flying Pheasant, and  a Coyote almost ran into me.
Across the road I was looking for Bisons, but didn't find them.