OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2011

From:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Sep 2011 14:47:00 -0400
Please join Columbus Audubon Tuesday, September 27 as we kick off our new
program season with Ohio's very own Greg Miller. Greg was one of the three
stars in the 2004 book by Mark Obmascik who each saw over 700 species in one
calendar year, 1998. Mark's book was on the New York Times Best Seller List
at # 35 and it was an Amazon Top 100 Seller for weeks.

The Big Year now has been made into a full length movie starring Jack Black,
Steve Martin and Owen Wilson. It's due for release on October 14, 2011. Greg
served as a birding advisor to the film and he plans to show a movie trailer
as part of his presentation at our meeting.

In addition to our main program, we would like to invite you to the first of
this season's "Program Shorts" from 7:00 to 7:15 pm. Mike Flynn will kick
off the season with a session entitled Sandhill Cranes at Jasper-Pulaski. He
will be talking about the November field trip he will be leading to
Jasper-Pulaski and his beloved Sandhill Cranes.

Wait, there's more! Greg Miller will be signing copies of The Big Year! If
you already have a copy, Greg will be happy to sign it for you. If you don't
have a copy, the GIAC Nature Store will have them for sale.

And there's still more, including speaker-themed door prizes. You won't want
to miss all the new CA Program activities. Members and guests welcome!
WWW.COLUMBUS AUDUBON.ORG

Columbus Audubon, with over 3,000 members, is one of the largest local
Audubon chapters in the nation. Columbus Audubon offers a variety of
opportunities for members and other nature enthusiasts to learn about and
enjoy all wildlife with an emphasis on birds. We meet at the Grange
Insurance Audubon Center in the Scioto-Audubon Metro Park 505 West Whittier
Street, Columbus, OH 43215

Monthly Meetings Begin at 7 p.m.

Free monthly meetings include a short program followed by a main speaker.
There is also time to socialize with others with similar interests.

7:00 p.m. Short Program: 15-minute 'special topic' nature talk

7:15 p.m. Refreshments & Door Prizes

7:30 p.m. Main Speaker

2011 -12 Columbus Audubon Program Schedule

SEPTEMBER 27, 2011

The Big Year, the Book & the Making of a Movie

Greg Miller, Acclaimed Birdwatcher

OCTOBER 25, 2011

Metro Parks: Build It and They Will Come

John O'Meara, Executive Director of Metro Parks

NOVEMBER 22, 2011

Birding the Ice Trucker Highway in Alaska

Dave Russell, Professor, Miami University

Jill Russell, Professor, College of Mt. St. Joseph

JANUARY 24, 2012

Climate Change: Truths and Myths

Lonnie Thompson, Geologist & Research Scientist, OSU Byrd Research Center

FEBRUARY 28, 2012

Stories of My Past, Present & Future

Richard Crossley, Birder, Photographer, Author of

The Crossley ID Guide: Eastern Birds

No short program this month.

MARCH 27, 2012

Last Migration: Sneak Preview of an Unwritten Book

Kenn Kaufman, World-Renowned Birder &

Author of Kaufman Field Guides

Join us at 6:00 p.m. for our annual potluck before the program. Bring a
covered dish and place setting.

APRIL 24, 2012

Wildflowers of North America

David Brandenburg,The Dawes Arboretum Botanist & Author of

The National Wildlife Federation Field Guide to Wildflowers of North America

MAY 22, 2012

Warblers and Late Migrants 101

Tom Sheley, Birder & Co-owner of Wild Birds Unlimited, Riverside Drive