OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2011

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Sep 2011 16:24:14 -0700
I went to Villa Angela and Wildwood State Parks on the east side of Cleveland today.  Spent almost all of the time in Villa Angela.  Was there from 10:30 to 4pm.  Mark Anderson was there from 9 to noon.  He said he found a Prairie Warbler in Villa Angela - I wasn't so lucky.  I did see a lot of warblers while I was there.  Birds bathing 10 at a time in the main woods in the puddles from the patrol cars/maintenance workers driving thru the main pine tree woods repeatedly.  After 1pm there was a slight sprinkle and all the birds were extremely active.  I was near the main woods opening further west, just left as you come out turn around and look back into woods there were puddles near the woods and at least 14 different warbler species were bathing in it and flying all around. Also saw birds in area west of grassy knoll and west of bathhouse.  Even as I arrived today in the marina the thin wet strip of plantings that cross the big parking
 had three Lincoln Sparrows and a Winter Wren in it.    Here are some of my sightings:

Chimney Swifts few
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 1
Northern Flickers 3
Eastern Wood-Pewee 1
Empid Flycatchers 4
Philadelphia Vireo 1
Red-eyed Vireo 2
Carolina Wren 1 (calling form Wildwood side)
Winter Wren 2 (WW & VA)
Swainson's Thrush 5
Wood Thrush 1
Brown Thrasher 1 heard

Warblers:
Tennessee 3
Orange-crowned 1
Nashville ~ 15
Chestnut-sided 2
Magnolia  10-13
Black-throated Blue 3
Yellow-rumped 5-6
Black-throated Green - at least 7(four at one time before I left)
Blackburnian 3
Palm 2
Bay-breasted 1
Blackpoll  35-40 (at least)
American Redstart 4
Ovenbird 1
Common Yellowthroat 8
Wilson's 2

Lincoln's Sparrow 7 (3Wildwood,4Villa Angela)

Nancy Anderson
Richmond Hts, OH
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/